Monday, March 4, 2013

Stream of Thoughts

When I was a tween/teenager, and going through a hard time, my mother encouraged me to write my feelings out.  "Stream of Thoughts" she would call it.  Then, if it wasn't in my diary, and I didn't have anything left in me to write about, to throw that paper away, symbolizing that I could move on from those thoughts.  I find myself more than 17 years since this advice from my mother, doing the same thing today, whenever I need to get thoughts out of my head, or be able to tell someone something.

Often, we hear that callers enjoy writing as a sense of getting their feelings out, but some don't know where to start.  Here are some great ways to get started:

  • Choose your topic.  If it's one issue that you are dealing with, go on that.  If it's a bunch of topics, write about one at once.

  • Physically use a pen or pencil to write on paper.  Writing on the computer or a tablet gives us too much freedom to delete what we're writing, because we may overthink, and try to protect ourselves or others, even if you're the only one seeing your writing.

  • Be in a spot where you can write without being interrupted.  This may be a difficult task, so even if it's somewhere you can write with minimal distractions is better than nothing.  You want to be able to focus on your thoughts, and getting them out.

  • The actual writing part can be done as you want it to.  Write in third person.  Write as you are writing a play or a script.  Write just random words.  Write upside down, backwards, in shapes, different colors, or any other method that will help you get your thoughts out.

  • Don't be afraid of your emotions.  You may experience anger, sadness, dispair, happiness, contentment, stress, and every other emotion while you're writing - but this is good!  These emotions are being captured by your words that are landing on the paper.

  • Keep writing until you run out of words.

  • When you find yourself finished with your writing, you can make the choice for yourself whether to keep what you've written in a safe place, share it with someone you care about, or throw it out.  This choice is completely yours and yours alone.

  • Take a deep breath when it's all said and done.  You deserve it after getting all of those emotions out.

We're always here to talk, any time of day or night, if you are ready to reach out.  Call us at 613-238-3311 to speak to one of our volunteers.


No comments:

Post a Comment